Sunday 6 January 2013

Count of Monte Cristo - comparison

1932 version: When watching this version of the film, I found the plot hard to follow because everything happened so fast. It was shown in black and white, which for some reason made it harder for me to follow what was happening as well. The graphics in this version of the film were pretty impressive for the time and the film itself is also pretty original. The scene where Edmond Dantes is in jail seemed more realistic and detailed than the 2002 version because this scene was more focused on in this version. 

2002 version: When watching this version of the film, I found the plot easier to follow because the ideas seemed to be much more organized in this version of the film. This version was also in colour, which for me, made it easier for me to follow what was going on. It was also easier for me to follow who the characters were throughout the film. The love affair between Mercedes and Edmond was much more "featured" in this version of the film.

I would say that the 1932 version is much more original and classic then the 2002 version. I also thoroughly enjoyed the jail scene in this version better as well because it was much more realistic and detailed. The jail scene in this version really caught my attention because it was the most detailed scene and the only scene I could understand from the plot of the whole version of this movie. I did find the 2002 version better because it was in colour and I understood it better then the 1932 version. The characters and the plot were also easier for me to follow because it was in colour (not sure why). I found that the 2002 version provided more detail to the plot as well as costumes. The "love affair" between Mercedes and Edmond is more "featured" in this version of the film as well. I found I understood this part of this version of the movie better, although I wish the jail scene in this version was like the one in the 1932 version. It lacked detail in the 2002 version. 

My final decision: I liked the 2002 version better.

No comments:

Post a Comment